Thursday, June 12, 2008

AC-100 Sparmax Compressor review

If you read my previous post, you know that my DH bought me a compressor to use with my Copic markers. I've been playing around today and thought I'd do a review on the compressor and show you some samples. First of all here's the compressor.

I bought this at COPICmarkerS.com - a period style and the service was great! This is the cheapest place that I found for this brand of compressor. So, for the pro's and con's.

Pro's -
  • Small and light weight - 8.4 pounds

  • Maintenance free

  • Quiet - motor is 1/8 HP

  • Long braided hose - almost 10'

  • Really powerful for how petite it is - max pressure 80 psi

  • No more buying air cans

Con's

  • Cost

Here are a few of my samples:

The sky and grass are done with Copic Sketch markers in B00 Frost blue and G07 Nile green. I masked the mountain range when air brushing and used my Picasso stencil for the clouds. The Mountains are colored with Copic Ciao markers in Sand E33 and E30 Bisque. The snow is liquid applique. I stamped the forest of tree's in Palette Jardin Moss. All stamps are from Alota Stamps. This turned out to be my Father's Day card for my Dad this year.

This next example was done using a template. I cut out the star die onto a piece of acetate and air brushed it onto the white scalloped circle. Noticed I used the Copic Ciao marker in Y17. All I did was use a piece of square foam tape to position the marker correctly into the air grip. Sentiment is from The Angel Company.
I used the Copic black multi liner in .003 to add my dots around the star and scalloped edges.

This is going to be one item that I will get a lot of use out of! I think I got a pretty good deal - DH bought this for me so I wouldn't complain about the money he spent on a canoe. Who do you think will get more use out of their new toy? Definitely me! =) You can only use a canoe two, maybe three month's out of the year - I get to play all year long!

Hope you enjoyed my ramblings/review on the compressor. Have a great weekend everyone! I have a strong suspicion that I will be out on the water in a canoe, instead of air brushing!


7 comments:

BarbL said...

VERY cool Laurie! Looks like you are having fun with it. I really like the soft look of the sky & grass on your mountain card.
Barb L.
AH#1

Marilyn said...

Wow that's a big machine! Looks like it really makes a difference with your coloring though - amazing!!

Lesa said...

Holy wow! (is jealous!) How many copics do you have? I just ordered my first markers. I finally decided to do the sketch markers. I was really going back and forth on that issue. I like that there are more colors to choose from though. I decided against getting a set. I am going to watch blogs and see what goes good together and just buy a few here and there so it doesn't hurt so much to buy them. I would love to do airbrushing next. Not sure I can justify a compressor though. This is so cool! Have a blast with your new toy!

Sarah said...

You've got quite the set up now. How cool! I never would have thought to use my sizzix dies to make plastic templates. I'll have to remember that. Thanks for sharing about your new toy.

Sarah G.

Lesli said...

Your samples are wonderful - what a great gift!

Stampin' Meg said...

wow- that is one SERIOUS looking tool!

Velta said...

Oh Laurie ~ TFS this one...you are too funny about that canoe...but you are right, you will be using this all year long. I love what you did here. I wish I could come over and take lessons from you!!