Tuesday, March 11, 2014

believe

Hi everyone! I'm not posting about a card today but something that I altered for my office wall.

I got this "believe" word from Hobby Lobby and it's made out of layers and layers of chipboard. It cost me a whopping $5.99. I've looked at several of the word phrases several times and decided at last to try and alter it. Here's how it came out!


I used Mod Podge and covered it with a pretty thick coat, then set the 6 x 6 designer papers over the top of it. I did use a clean brayer to smooth out things out and make sure that everything stuck down.
Once dry, I used a craft knife to cut around the letters and then sanded down the rough edges using my Basic Grey file set.  Black soot distress ink was applied with a dauber around all letters, nooks and crannies. I used another coat of the matte finish Mod Podge over the top to seal it.


Then I got to embellishing - I added a bit of stenciling with the hexagon, then added some self adhesive black pearls. The lower left line is hiding a seam in the paper that I couldn't get sanded out evenly.  Butterfly is cut out of black cardstock using a Memory Box die.

The dragonfly is metal and I painted it with black soot distress paint and added some amber rhinestones. I had to get the hot glue gun out to get him to stick!


Flowers were purchased at Hobby Lobby but the button is done using some of the designer paper, glossy accents and a clear button. Designer paper is from the Printery Collection that I also got at Hobby Lobby.

Kind of a fun project that fits well on my office wall. Hardest part was cutting the designer paper away and then sanding. Those nooks and crannies were a challenge too! What do you think?

Thanks for stopping in!
Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

Patti J said...

Love it, Laurie! If we don't get the forecasted snow, Shirley and I are going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration :-)

Angie said...

Very nice and so Spring like! It's always so much find to take something that is simple and make it simply beautiful!

Tammy said...

I think it is absolutely fantastic! I'd love to see how great it looks at my house!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

That is an awesome piece of wall art!

Glittered Paws said...

Love your project - my friend Patti and I went to HL yesterday and she bought Family - so I am going to see how she does on hers and I just may have to attempt this - awesome and will add so much to your office.

Glittered Paws said...

Love your project - my friend Patti and I went to HL yesterday and she bought Family - so I am going to see how she does on hers and I just may have to attempt this - awesome and will add so much to your office.

Jeni said...

This is beautiful Laurie. I bet it looks fabulous on your office wall. ~jeni :)

Viv said...

How clever Laurie, love it ;) Viv xx